It’s winter in Minnesota – that dry time of the year when my scalp is flaky and itchy. You know, dandruff (boooo…) I used to use a prescription dandruff shampoo until I recently found a natural and inexpensive solution – olive oil. It stops the itchiness, the flakes, and the effects last about 4-5 days between treatments. It’s super simple. Give it a try!
- Put a few tablespoons of cheap olive oil in a small bowl or cup. The cheaper the oil is, the less fragrant. That way, you’ll smell less like a salad when you’re doing this.
- Put a towel that you don’t care about around your shoulders to protect your clothes.
- Dip your fingertips in the oil and massage your scalp.
- Leave the oil in your hair for at least 30 minutes. (Tie up your hair if it’s long.) You can also leave the oil in your hair overnight – just be sure to put a towel on your pillow so the oil doesn’t stain it. This towel is now your hair treatment towel. Don’t wash it with other items, or else it may stain them.
- Wash the oil out of your hair. My hair is longer, so I need to wash it about 2 -3 times.
- Be careful in the tub or shower! Make sure you have a decent mat and clean out your tub so you don’t slip on the oil.
Aaah, my scalp feels great. Olive oil conditions your hair naturally too. Say buh-bye this season to expensive conditioners and harsh chemical dandruff shampoos!
Photo is copyright Daniella Segura and made available under a Creative Commons-licensed content requiring attribution license. Thanks Daniella!