Here’s a recipe for a deliciously fresh and filling salad. I like to call it “Runner’s Salad” because I used to eat it about 3 times a week when I was on a regular running regimen years ago.
I made it the other day. Did it make me run fast? Uh…no. But I hope to get back on track this Spring. Bring on the Runner’s Salad!
This deliciousness is inspired by a recipe I *think* I saw in the book “You Don’t Need Meat” by Peter Cox. I committed the simple recipe to memory long ago. Credit goes to that book, unless I read it somewhere else. In that case, the other book deserves the credit from my faded memory.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
(even if your cooking for 1 or 2, consider making 8 servings. You will feast for days.)
You’ll be impressed by how good a simple salad like this tastes. Especially when it’s topped with the fastest homemade dressing ever!
- 6 to 8 red potatoes, washed, skins left on
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 1/2 head (0.5 head) fresh cabbage, shredded (or use cabbage coleslaw mix)
- 1/2 small bag (0.5 small bag) shredded carrots
- 1 – 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or use 1 & 2/3 cup cooked kidney beans)
- Almonds (non-salted) for topping
- Cube the potatoes. Remove eyes or any other nasty bits. Keep the skins on.
- Steam the cubed potatoes until tender (not mushy). Allow to cool.
- Steam the green beans until tender (not mushy). Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together shredded carrots and shredded cabbage.
- Add green beans
- Add cubed potatoes
- Add kidney beans
- Gently coat salad with dressing. Dress individual servings, or if you’d like, add to entire salad.
- Top with a few almonds.
Dijon Salad Dressing Ingredients
Seriously now – make your own salad dressing for this salad. It’s so easy.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar (use a REAL apple cider vinegar like Bragg)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add ingredients to a small jar. Shake until well mixed.
Our family weighs in:
Nobody ate this salad except for me. The kids were sick, husband didn’t appear to be impressed. But I will make it again many times this Spring. Watch out family!
Do you have a favorite food that gets you revved up for your exercise routine?