Spring is in the air….that means it’s hummus time at our house!
Hummus is an easy-to-make pureed chickpea dish that can be eaten many different ways: a dip for veggies, pita bread, chips or pretzels, a sandwich spread, or mixed into a green salad.
My kids love hummus. Lately, a fantastic local brand “Holy Land” has taken over as their favorite (I think they like the ultra smooth texture). But nonetheless, they still like mommy’s homemade hummus.
My Favorite Hummus Recipe
- 1 – 15 oz. can chick peas OR if using cooked beans, use 1 & 2/3 cups (1.66 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons reserved can liquid (or 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup (0.25 cup) tahini
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup (0.25 cup) olive oil
- sea salt to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
- Add all ingredients in a food processor or blender
- Mix until well blended
Our family weighs in:
- Son liked it.
- Daughter liked it.
- Husband liked it.
- I loved it.
- Tahini is a sesame paste sometimes found in the peanut butter aisle or natural foods aisle.
- There are loads of hummus recipes at about.com and all over the Internet. You’re certain to find a favorite.