We’re continuing with our bean challenge. On Thursday, we had home-made black bean burgers. The kids ate them and enjoyed them (always a plus.) Our daughter said they tasted like potatoes. (?) I think they are getting used to our bean-centric dinners! Also, I’ve had black-bean burger left-overs 2 times this week. They taste good heated up too.
Here is a link to the black-bean burger recipe I used. I modified it a little bit the following ways:
- used dried cooked beans instead of canned
- used fresh corn (not sure if they meant canned, frozen, or fresh)
- used fresh bell pepper (from our garden) instead of roasted red pepper
- used 2 whole eggs instead of 1 egg white. That was because I made 2 batches – with and without onions. And I don’t have an egg separator – I’m not skilled enough to do it without one!
- I didn’t bake them in the oven, just the frying pan.
Some things I would change about this recipe next time:
- Add a little fresh garlic and tomato paste for flavoring.
- Add a little more salt since I used dried-cooked beans instead of canned (which typically have salt).
- I wasn’t really sure what the 1/2 tsp of baking soda was for. Maybe to make them lighter and crisper? I did use it, but wondered what would happen if I left it out.
Here is what it looked like in the food processor with much of the ingredients
And this is what it looked like cooked (looks pretty close to a hamburger!):
I’m considering making dal next time. If you have any favorite dal recipes, let me know!